Pages

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Best Danged Dad In the Universe

             Dad, on this special day, I just wanted to take a few minutes to let you know how much you mean to me.
            There are a lot of fathers out there and after close examination of all of them; I have decided that you are without a doubt the best father in the country. Perhaps even on earth. Hell, you’re the best father in the universe. Bar none.
            You held my hand through life’s ups and downs, hugged me when I needed it, and when I didn’t.  You disciplined me when I deserved it and skipped many times that you should have. You gave me money, values, dreams and ideals.
             You taught me many things, and I could never list them all. So here is a small sampling of them:
  • Always give 110%.
  • Go hard or go home.
  • Eat what’s put in front of you.
  • Eat your veggies. (Okay, I still don’t eat ‘em.)
  • Never give up.
  • Hold onto your dreams and fight for them.
  • Stand up for those you love.
  • Help a friend.
  • Help a stranger.
  • Be kind to kids, dogs and old people.
  • Hug your kids and praise them.
  • Support your family and friends.
  • Listen to your mother, she the smartest woman I know. (And she is.)
  • Find your values and stay true to them.
  • Fight for what you believe in.
  • Celebrate the joys in your life, embrace the sorrows.
  • Honesty and integrity make the man.
  • Manners are free.
  • Stand up and fight for your country.
  • Life isn’t easy, suck it up and get on with it.
  • Sometimes you have to hold your tongue. (I have yet to master this.)
  • Read a book.
  • Work hard.
  • Play hard.
  • Love hard. 
            Because you have such a great way of wording things and such a creative mind, I want to share a few of my favorite, classic advice quotes.
  • “Shit or get off the pot.”
  • “Get your damned ass out of bed and do something useful.”
  • “Life isn’t easy, suck it up and get on with it.”
  • “I don’t care what career you choose, dig ditches for all I care. But you better be the best damned ditch digger there is.”
  • And my personal favorite, “Fuck, fight or hold the light. Just do something to help.”
             There aren’t enough words to tell you how much I love you and how much I appreciate all the things you have done for me, all the times you have been there for me. Hell, I even appreciate all the times you reprimanded and disciplined me. I especially appreciate all the creative ways you taught me to curse. You made me who I am today, and for that I am grateful.
            With all the love the one person can possibly give. This is your favorite daughter saying thanks dad. I love you, I’m proud of you and I wouldn’t trade you for anything.

Hugs
Cath

2 comments:

  1. Eloquently put Cathy ~ You lucky girl you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What can I say? I love my dad. Thanks for stopping by for a visit and a chat.

      Hugs
      Cath

      Delete

Sadly, ad bots have snagged onto my blog. This means you have fight your way through the silly and frustrating word verification process. Please persevere. I do value your feedback.